So you want a PhD. Determining whether that is the right path for you or not is a discussion for another (maybe future) post. But now that you have decided you want a PhD, how do you apply into a PhD program? Though some of the steps are similar to college and graduate applications, many aspects and steps of the application process are also quite different! I’ll share the steps I took to get into a PhD program.
Here’s a summary of the steps, with in-depth explanations soon after:
- Research departments and professors, and the type of research they do
- Contact departments/professors you are potentially interested in
- Volunteer to do research with the department/professor
- Check for universities’ and department-specific application requirements, and work on fulfilling them
- Apply! Seriously, just do it.
- Last but not least, surrender!
Feel free to share what steps you took, or your stories about getting into college or a PhD program in the comments!
Disclaimer: The process and steps I list here are ones I took to get accepted into a university in the U.S. Talking to PhD students from other countries, it seems that the process and steps may be somewhat similar for other countries as well, but there may be differences.